As the name suggests, a request letter is broadly a term coined for any letter that is aimed at requesting either a service, piece of information or a task to be performed. The outlook of such a letter has to be formal because it is a request and not a demand.
The following can be considered a few categories of request letters:
- Request letter for raise or promotion
- Request letter for a favor
- Request letter for discount
- Request letter for a personal loan
Since such letters are directed towards receiving something, they should be written in a convincing manner. The following tips might help:
- Be tactful and polite while writing a request letter.
- Be brief, persuasive and confident. But be careful about not being forceful or overbearing.
- Be straightforward and get straight to the point as the party to whom the letter is addressed isn’t concerned with anything but the main point.
- Leave your contact details so that the person can easily get back to you regarding your request.
- Don’t forget to express your willingness to reciprocate the favor or kindness.
- Make only those requests which are reasonable and ones which the person is capable of fulfilling.