Reference letters are also known as recommendation letters and are those which are used when the applicant is applying for a job or higher studies and needs proof or backing from a person at a respectable position. These letters speak about the applicant’s abilities and skills which make him the right candidate for the job or position.
These letters can be used for a variety of purposes and based upon the purposes, these letters can be divided into the following few categories:
- Reference letter for graduation
- Reference letter for job
- Reference letter for voluntary service
Reference letters need to be written carefully as any mistake can work against rather than in favour of the applicant. The tone of the letter should be formal and must be written by following a certain set format:
- A reference letter is a way of recommendation and therefore it should be very long.
- The letter should have the name of the applicant clearly mentioned.
- There should be a proper account of the previous qualifications, skills and experience that the applicant has had with the writer of the letter.
- The position that the applicant has applied to should also be mentioned.
- The letter should give your positive views regarding the person concerned.