Saying goodbye is one of the hardest things to do and so is writing a farewell letter. A farewell letter is a letter which is sent to someone who is leaving work, school or your neighborhood and is used to express the feelings of the sender.
The choice of words in a farewell letter must be chosen carefully and the tone of the letter must be in sync with the nature of your relationship with the recipient. If you wish to frame a good farewell letter, then the following given points shall be of great use for you.
- The first thing to keep in mind while framing a farewell letter is to address it properly. The name and address of the recipient must be given at the top left corner and should be absolutely correct.
- You must be sure of whether the letter is formal or informal. Use a friendly and polite tone in case of a personal or informal letter whereas in the case of a formal letter, you must be extremely formal and to the point.
- The subject, date of letter writing and salutation are also important in a farewell letter.
- The body of the letter must be divided into two or three parts. The first paragraph of the farewell letter must be an introduction to your letter and must point at the purpose of the letter. This paragraph must be kept precise and brief. The second paragraph must express your feelings on the farewell of the recipient and the things you would miss about him/her. The last paragraph must have a proper closing line and should not be stretched beyond a point.
- Throughout the letter, one must make sure that a proper goodbye is said to the recipient. A message of ‘good riddance’ must not be expressed through your words.